Wednesday, March 14, 2012

laptop case no. 2

I have to admit, I'm a girl that likes a little flash. Though my wardrobe is generally neutral and conservative in style and color, I have a few pieces of flair that bring me a lot of happiness. Lately I've been kind of drawn towards crazy animal prints, but after confessing this to my sister, she threatened to disown me if I purchased anything of the sort. Tough sisterly love couldn't stop me from making this laptop case, however, after I unearthed this faux-suede beauty from my stash of free fabric. I think this technically this doesn't fall within the category of "forbidden items" because I didn't actually buy anything AND I think my sister was thinking more about articles of clothing..
I trimmed a FedEx bubble mailer to size, sewing up the open end to make the envelope extra snug (added bonus - the plastic casing + bubbles makes this case water-resistant!). I then created the fabric sleeve, stuck two pieces of cardboard (previously the backs of 8x11 notepads) between the fabric and the mailer on both sides for added structure and protection, and then sewed the top edges to the fabric to secure everything together.

To secure the top flap, I attached 3 velcro pieces. The velcro comes with sticky backing, but just to be sure that these pieces stay put, I added a few dabs of super glue.
I'm going on a big trip to Hong Kong and Korea soon and have been pretty much making all life decisions with this trip in mind. I now feel like I'm one step closer to the glitz and glamour of Korean starlets with this in tow.

2 comments:

AIC said...

can you make me one?!? and why isn't singapore one of the stops?!?

julie said...

because you're not there yet!! and i'll def make you one. i'm going to try and get better fabric during this asia trip