Still high off an entertaining excursion to Manayunk, I was walking home when I came across this really unique desk on the side of the street. Normally I pass up on anything that I can't carry myself, but I was in need of a desk and too fascinated by this one to just walk away.
But perhaps the best part of the story is the moving process.
I quickly called a friend to help me carry this to my place, and as I was waiting by the sidewalk, a middle-aged man came up to me and said hello. I gave him a quick smile but busied myself with my phone, because I was afraid that he was going to ask me for money. He didn't budge, however, and continued conversing with me about how great it was that I was saving the environment by taking used furniture and "not adding more crap to the Earth" and how it was a shame that I didn't arrive earlier to snag the sweet TV that was also left for the taking.
My friend (another small girl) eventually arrived and we started to discuss the easiest way to move it. It's not that it was particularly heavy, just a bit unwieldy. After fumbling for a little bit and deciding that one of us had to walk backwards, we started to move our way down the sidewalk when the aforementioned man shouted:
Hold up! Now I appreciate the effort - with you waiting and calling for backup. And your friend coming all the way here for you. And for you two trying to carry this home. But what would my momma say if she knew I let you carry this all by yourself? What would she say, huh??Turns out this guy was part of a moving company that provides manpower for those who don't want to bother with formal movers and he just happened to be hired by the girl that was throwing out this beautiful desk. And so the Good Samaritan, Al, brought out his moving dolly, told his partner to come pick him up in a couple minutes and rolled the desk to my doorstep. I was extremely grateful but didn't have any small bills on me that I was willing to part with, so all I could offer Al was the SmartWater knock-off that was given out at the Manayunk fair. He took it and told us that we should keep in mind that charity works and that we should do good things with our lives. With that, I asked for his card and he went on his way.
Thanks LF and Al for helping me acquire this fab piece of furniture and for totally making my day :D
1 comment:
:) lesson learned: dont assume everyone on the street say hello to solicit you for money + do be nice to strangers even before they offer you a moving dolly. good story thanks for sharing!
Post a Comment